Patrick's two Upstart posts reminded me of 2.5 queries of my own.

1. Why does /lib/init/upstart-job direct us to use service rather than initctl?

2. With initctl, upstart has the equivalent of invoke-rc.d/service. Is
there or will there be the equivalent of update-rc.d/chkconfig?

999. Could initctl be made to recognize, for example, both
avahi-daemon and avahi-daemon.conf? (If I am in /etc/init - it is rare
but it happens - and type "stop av//tab//", I end up with "stop
avahi-daemon.conf" which, after pressing //enter// results in an
"unknown job" message.)