>> I assume that the samba job has been split into two because there was
>> a problem with nmbd not starting when smbd and nmbd were launched
>> through samba.
>> If you look at the respective conf files, you will see that nmbd
>> requires a nic other than lo to be up before starting.

> So, although it makes sense that there is little reason to run nmbd when
> the only network connection is lo, it makes even _less_ sense, AFAIK, to
> run smbd when there are no external network connections.  I couldn't
> think of a single scenario where smbd does anything without networking
> -- mounting local SMB file systems only requires mount.cifs, which is in
> an entirely different package (smbfs).
> Is one service/daemon per /etc/init .conf file part of the Upstart
> design spec, perhaps?

I would look at this from a different angle; smbd does not have nmbd's
"deficiency" of requiring a non-loopback interface to be up and the
developer chose to have the minimal "start on" test for smbd - and
therefore created two upstart jobs.

I don't think that Upstart prevented him from starting smbd and nmdb
with the same job (with "script; exec smbd...; exec nmbd...; end
script").

Having two jobs is definitely cleaner than the Karmic situation where
there is a script in /etc/network/if-up.d to "bring nmbd up when an
interface comes up, if smbd is already running."