On 1 April 2010 20:02, Alexander Schrijver
<alexander.schrij...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> unattended-upgrade(8) is called via /etc/cron.daily/apt and this is seems to
> be
> the default Ubuntu configuration. This script automatically installs package
> upgrades without notifying the user.

By default it only installs -security updates. But it is configurable
see /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades.

> The problem is that if a user is running for example firefox (or any other
> program with external resources) this script would overwrite the resources on
> disk but the program would still be in memory. This brings the program in an
> unknown state, and potentially crash it. I tried this with Firefox and it
> fucks
> up the user interface. But if the program would load a dynamically loadable
> library things would get really fucked up.

Please use polite language =)

>From my experience i get a notification saying firefox needs
restarting after unattended-upgrade happens. Not long time ago I've
stopped using daily firefox builds and switched to epiphany so please
confirm which version of Ubuntu you are using and whether you use
ppas.

Generally you would want -security fixes as soon as possible.

Program is still in memory and their dynamically loadable libraries as
well. So it is quite stable. Icons & pictorial data can become
inconsistent but I haven't seen unattended upgrade to crash firefox
yet.

Also if you have low disk space things can get really interesting. I
once had less than 100MiB left on my harddrive and Firefox & Gtk look
really funky =))))) So is your free disk space fine?

> My question is, how is this supposed to work, because this seems really messed
> up.

I think I explained it in detail =) security only & you get a popup
that firefox needs restarting after you as a user decide when to do
it. Because user data in the browser is important.