On Wed, 5 May 2010 18:44:02 -0400, Ryan Oram <r...@infinityos.net> wrote:
> Ubuntu needs a change in direction.

Is that so? Now back up your claim with something substantial and maybe,
just maybe, someone might buy your argument. I will say, however, that
you have an up-hill battle.

If you are going to propose sweeping changes to the release model of a
distribution with a user-base as large as Ubuntu's, please spend more
than five minutes preparing your argument.

> I propose that Ubuntu adopt a development model where only the core
> operating system, userland, core libraries, and desktop environment
> are frozen every 6 months. The applications would then be freely
> updated to the newest versions at all times. Package maintenance and
> support for the end-user applications would be provided by the
> developers themselves.

In my view, this is exactly what we don't need. We have enough trouble
keeping bug reports straight with only a couple versions of applications
and libraries in active circulation at a time. What you just proposed
sounds like a close approximation of hell.

> This new release system would be very similar to the semi-rolling
> release system I implemented (and tested) in infinityOS.

Wonderful. InfinityOS can enjoy it. We, however, like to maintain our
sanity.

- Ben