Am Fri, 7 May 2010 10:04:21 +1000
schrieb Chris Jones <chrisjo...@comcen.com.au>:

> Just as a general note, I'm still struggling a little with the new
> window control buttons location to the left. I am persevering with it
> though

Me too.

> as I am accepting that it's a good location for them being
> right next to the File, Edit, etc. menu controls.

Is it? I am growing unsure about it.

For mouse users:

The different nature of window/app manipulation is not well
recognized any more. Things are very close together. Less signal to
noise ratio for our neural mouse pushing network.

The mouse movement is only about 3cm between left and right. Seems not
really a signifcant stretch with those fast optical mouses around and
for humans designed to be able to run the bull.

The scroll bars are on the right anyway.

Notice the waste of display space. 80% unused double hight menu space
when window is maximized. That makes ubuntu use four status bar hights
of precious display space with its default layout. About the one thing I
liked from chromium is the idea of putting the menu/tab items and window
buttons into one bar. Menu/tab things left window buttons right.

If on a laptop/touchpad using keybard is probably faster,
accidentially pushing a window button instead of menue item is then also
less of an issue.

If on a Tablet/touchpad the left/right bifurcation may be quite helpful
in avoiding accidents.

Don't see much gain from going different defaults, here.
Not to speak about users missing a simple switch, here.

> Just my 2 cents.

+2 more