On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM, I.E.G. <kopci...@gmail.com> wrote:
> …
> Gentlemen and Ladies I have not had any success in total or in part with
> PulseAudio . I have had a single trip to youtube for instance inactivate all
> audio on my system(s) . I have had VLC not only fail to produce any audio
> but seg_fault . I have experienced the aforementioned halting stutter and
> "latency" in web stream , VLC , MoviePlayer and asterisk based softphones .
> Suffice to say I didn't bother fixing or configuring it I just found the
> least path of resistance to audio and deleted , disabled or otherwise worked
> around it . I still to this moment as a step in installation of even, Lucid
> stop just after all updates are installed  and find some way to eradicate
> PulseAudio.
>
> I just thought a response from the every day user (since 6.04) that has no
> political nor development agenda might have some small use . If it works I
> use it . If it doesn't I google it . If google turns up dissension and
> wildly conflicting oping as to the cause of the malfunction I punt on third
> down and in this case revert to ALSA which I have had success with .
> …

I may be misunderstanding you here, but when was the last Ubuntu
release where you gave Pulse a try before removing it? It sounds like
you were very very quick to do so with Lucid. However, things have
changed a lot lately (given that PulseAudio is being developed
extremely actively). The software works considerably better in Lucid
than it did in Karmic.

Dylan