On 5/21/2010 1:40 PM, Louis Simard wrote:
> Err... While I know what you want me to do (you want
> web interface. Perhaps I'll set up Mozilla Thunderbird, if it can do
> that :-)

Heh, yea, I've struggled with this on thunderbird too, which is why I
usually end up submitting patches via something like mime-construct or
some other command line mime editor where I can force it to use

> - For PNG: the data used to store some images on the CD is not
> compressed to the highest level. OptiPNG takes those files and tries
> to recompress them to the highest level, while ensuring that every
> pixel's color value ends up being the same.

I believe that PNG applies a lossey compression first, then gzips the
result.  It sounds like you are saying that the gzip is done with -3
instead of -9, so you ungzip it and recompress on -9.  Is that more or
less correct?  If so that sounds pretty good, but like you mentioned
before, should be done upstream rather than only for the livecd.

> - For SVG: the data used to store ALL images on the CD is not optimal
> for rendering purposes. Inkscape metadata, Sodipodi metadata, ID names
> for elements that end up unused, gradients defined dozens of times,
> etc., are bloating the files. Scour.py takes those files and removes
> this bloat, while ensuring that the new versions render identically to
> the original. However, since Inkscape's metadata ends up removed, it
> could be more difficult for users to open these new files in Inkscape.

Sounds good, and also would be good to do upstream instead of just for
the lived.

> - For XML, as described by Martin Owens: xmllint would remove
> everything superfluous from all files on the CD, while ensuring that
> the data is parsed identically. I haven't tested this yet except on
> one file from the CD (squashfs ->
> /var/lib/gconf/defaults/%gconf-tree.xml), but that file went from
> 2,095,034 bytes to 1,779,376 (a savings of 315,658). There's more hope
> yet.

I noticed the bloated gconf xml files a few years back myself and
brought it up on the devel list.  IIRC I saw even more wasted space than
you mention here, due to 10, 20, even 30 characters of whitespace
indenting each line.  This does add a lot of bloat to the files I don't
like to have on an installed system, but once compressed into the
squashfs for the livecd, the whitespace drops out, so there wasn't much
concern about it.  At one point I tried just converting the whitespace
into hard tabs and saved quite a bit of space, while preserving the
indentation for human editing.