On 11 June 2010 23:40, Chris Jones <chrisjo...@comcen.com.au> wrote:
> I was discussing this issue with some other members on #ubuntu+1 irc just
> yesterday. Should aptitude be included in Maverick by default?
>
> I can't see any valid reason of why it should be. We already have apt-get,
> dpkg and gdebi. And between the 3 of those, all bases are already covered.
> So I believe one has to raise the question.
> I'm not aware of how much space aptitude actually consumes, but the space
> could be better used for something more useful and/or important.
>
> Regards

Debian aptitude is at 0.6.2.1-2, while ubuntu's aptitude is at
0.4.11.11-1ubuntu10

I don't know why there is such a large version difference though and
how much work needs to be done to merge these two together.

Aptitude is able to handle downgrades better than synaptic/apt-get
this was the only way for me to downgrade from my personal
experimental gcc-4.5 toolchain on Lucid back to the default 4.4

http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/aptitude.html
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptitude