On 23 June 2010 20:18, Scott Kitterman <ubu...@kitterman.com> wrote:
> AIUI, it wouldn't help much on Ubuntu since by default u-m doesn't pop up
> it's window for security updates if it's been opened in the last two days.

Why that may happen on Kubuntu, it hasn't been true on any post-Jaunty
Ubuntu releases .

By default, u-m desn't pop up whether there are security updates or
not, even if the user hasn't updated for month. I can run for weeks
before remembering to fire up u-m manually, and the users I've
installed Ubuntu on don't do that, so they end up month late in
updates (even though they were installing updates regularly
pre-Jaunty). Jaunty had it open behind other windows, so there was a
chance some users would notice it if (and only if) they were not just
having Firefox full screen all the time. With Karmic and Lucid, u-m
doesn't show at all.

For inexperienced users, automatic upgrades might be a choice to
consider, if only they were not the kind of users that could handle it
the worst, since they won't remember to save their work regularly.

Cheers,
Loïc