Ccing the list back

On 08/13/2010 02:31 AM, Harry Strongburg wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Micah Gersten <mic...@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:mic...@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/13/2010 02:06 AM, Harry Strongburg wrote:
>      > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Martin
>     Pitt<martin.p...@ubuntu.com <mailto:martin.p...@ubuntu.com>>  wrote:
>      >> php5 installs everything related to PHP, which includes the web
>     server
>      >> module. If you only want the command line interpreter, but none
>     of the
>      >> web stuff, just install php5-cli instead. But I dare to claim that
>      >> most people who want PHP actually want it as a web server platform.
>      >
>      > Apache is not the only httpd in the world that supports PHP-CGI!
>     PHP can be run with most httpds.
>      > Bundling the php5 package to install Apache is like selling
>     T-Shirts along with jeans, but packaged together. There's a large
>     chance that the end-user will use the pants that were sold with the
>     T-Shirt, but why package them together? The end-user should have
>     more options, not less!
>      > (It's a bad example, but it's all I can think of at 4 AM :))
>
>     Which would probably explain why php5-cgi doesn't pull in apache:
>

> Still doesn't change the fact that the package "php5", which most users
> will install (and includes both -cli and -cgi), is forcing an Apache
> install. Call me a lighttpd fanboy, but I just fail to see why Apache is
> a dependency for php5, because it is not. It's the most popular httpd,
> but that is no reason to make it a dependency on the php5 package. At
> least give the user at time of install the option to chose what httpd
> they want, if any? More is always better than none or limited choices.

Because sensible defaults are necessary.  You get your choice of Apache
or something else.  If you selected another httpd on install and php5
dragged in apache, that might qualify as a bug.  If you selected
nothing, well you get the sensible default which is Apache.
apt-cache show php5
Package: php5
<snip>
Depends: libapache2-mod-php5 (>= 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2) |
libapache2-mod-php5filter (>= 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2) | php5-cgi (>=
5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2), php5-common (>= 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.2)
<snip>
  This package is a metapackage that, when installed, guarantees that you
  have at least one of the three server-side versions of the PHP5
interpreter
  installed. Removing this package won't remove PHP5 from your system,
however
  it may remove other packages that depend on this one.
<snip>