Am 24.02.2010 15:59, schrieb Peteris Krisjanis:

> 2010/2/24 Scott James Remnant<sc...@ubuntu.com>:
>> On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 16:16 +0200, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
>>
>>> Any objections or observations for a MIR (main inclusion request) of
>>> usb-modeswitch and inclusion on the default installation of Ubuntu
>>> 10.04 LTS? Binary package size is 30kB + 10kB (data).
>>>
>> I have an objection on the basis that we *already* have modem-modeswitch
>> (in the udev binary package), and Kernel code that already attempts much
>> the same thing.
>>
>> We shouldn't have three independent pieces overlapping like this,
>> especially since we'll almost certainly end up with conflicts between
>> them.
>>
>> One of these should "win" to be the default; that discussion shouldn't
>> be specific to Ubuntu but should happen on the upstream
>> linux-hotp...@vger.kernel.org mailing list.
>>

> I fully agree with you Scott, however I am not sure which one of us
> should start discussion there. Would be nice for you Ubuntu guys to
> start pushing this idea, because you have some backing.
>
> Anyway, I'm subscribing to that list and if no one will volunteer, I
> will try to initialize discussion.

I want to recall that discussion from February.

In the meantime, things have happened. Modem-modeswitch has been
obsoleted upstream, it was reduced to a tool for switching a single
device (Mobile Action Cable). The autor (Dan Williams) discourages any
use for other mobile data equipment.

Again, the kernel developers are rejecting any new switching code and
decided to keep the existing code only for backward compatibility reasons.
This kernel code affects some old devices from Option, Huawei and the
Sierra family. All recent devices apart from Sierra have to be treated
in userspace.

Even if there should be a "conflict" between kernel code and
usb_modeswitch, there are all kinds of tests that prevent the latter
from doing anything of relevance if the respective device stops being
accessible during the preparation phase (which involves a little delay
to give way to the kernel).
The switching process results in the disappearance of the original
device, so the signal to userspace is very loud and clear if the
kernel does it.

The current usb_modeswitch version 1.1.4 is boot-proof which was
tested on several different distributions including Debian 5,
OpenSUSE, Fedora 13, Ubuntu 9.10/10.4, Mandriva 2010.0.
See Debian-unstable for packages.

Josua Dietze