On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:33:30 +0200, Aur?lien Naldi <aurelien.na...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you want to keep installed packages, you can upgrade instead of
> installing from scratch (if you don't skip a version or if you go from
> LTS to LTS, otherwise it may be painful).

I'd like to just raise a paw here: the only reason I got to see the new
(and very slick!) installer is because my upgrade went pear-shaped. As
far as I can figure, one of the packages that was being upgraded was
asking a question about replacing a conf file (or something similar)
so the upgrade dialog just hung until I killed it and all the apt/dpkg
processes I could find and started again manually. I'm assuming this
created some bad juju on my machine because after the upgrade, I would
get hard hangs after a few idle hours on the machine. A clean install
doesn't exhibit the problem.
Unfortunately, this kind of thing has happened to me in the past (the
upgrade dialog stalling and when I manage to force things to start
again in a console, I see that the first package to be upgraded is
asking a question about overwriting a modified conf file). This is
just the first time (9.04->9.10->10.04->10.10) where the end result
was unusable.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd like to log a
bug report -- I honestly don't know what package to choose as the
victim though.
I would also add a "me too" to the OP. I keep my /home on another
partition for all the same common reasons and it would be neat
if that were offered as an easier option for newer users -- which would
make re-installs when they break the system due to learning
slightly less painful, for example.