Hello Reuben,

Reuben Thomas [2011-02-04 12:44 +0000]:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pmount/+bug/237361
>
> It's a trivial man page formatting bug.
> Now, I don't want to downplay the importance of correct tagging of
> bugs, but, as I said, this is a trivial documentation bug. How about
> just fixing it?
>
> I see this happen again and again. It's sad, because it is not a good
> use of Ubuntu dev time, and the bug often takes ages to get fixed.

This is a very good example of bugs which we shouldn't actually "just"
fix in Ubuntu. pmount is really obsolete ancient technology which
isn't used in any of the desktop environments we are interested in
Ubuntu, and I'm saying this as the original author of pmount. :-) As
such, pretty much every attention you spend on it is kind of wasted
and should rather be spent on projects that we actually do use.

If we would fix this bug in Ubuntu now, we would introduce a delta to
upstream and delta to Debian (well, in the case of pmount these are
identical) which we would then have to maintain.

IMHO these kind of bugs are best fixed in cooperation with upstream,
and then trickle down into the distros as part of new upstream
releases.  (Actually this is true for many bugs even in supported
software, not just for this kind of "neglected old universe
packages").

Martin