On 21 April 2011 16:14, Allison Randal <alli...@canonical.com> wrote:
> - Only ship a very small shim for the client on the CD (advantage of
> small footprint), and do the rest of the install the first time someone
> uses Ubuntu One.

This is what dropbox does albeit a download and not on CD, and it
seems to work nicely. You end up with a boatload of statically linked
libraries in ~/.dropbox-dist as a result though. I don't know if you'd
look to let the shim install a deb or do a similar think to dropbox,
but whatever you do, make it "Just Work". That's one significant
advantage dropbox has over Ubuntu One.

(That's aside from dropbox being properly cross platform (same
functionality and UI on all three platforms) and "Just Work"ing behind
a proxy. Neither of which U1 does yet which are the two reasons I (and
many others[0]) don't use it)

Al.

[0] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+bug/387308