On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Kai Mast <kai.m...@freakybytes.org> wrote:

> Oneiric is already in Beta and we still have two different apps to
> configure network connections. One in the System Settings and one when
> using the indicators. Will that be the way Oneiric is shipped or will
> they be merged?

As far as I know, both will be shipped, and as for my own opinion,
both are needed.

Part of the reason for this is that they both deal with the exact same
backend; and not all variants of Ubuntu ship the gnome-control-center
pieces (I can already think of Xubuntu which is currently not shipping
it).

Furthermore, not all the settings are covered by both applications.
The gnome-control-center stuff includes proxy configuration which is
not something available (yet) in nm-connection-editor. This is partly
a decision coming from Gnome and a side effect of the move to Gnome
Shell, which ships its own module for the network "indicator", while
still using some parts of nm-applet.

And all this brings me back to the fact that the gnome-control-center
module for Network uses dialogs coming from nm-applet, so for now they
are not really possible to separate.

Regards,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu...@ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu...@gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93