Lack of encryption is a security issue that's no different from any
other protocol on a LAN (like NFS).  If you don't trust the LAN then
you tunnel the connection through SSH, VPN, etc.  My major problem
with scanner access was the device permissions:
http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2010/10/scanner-access-enabler.html

Alternative solution - PHP Server Scanner:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519201&page=11

This is a PHP re-write of Linux Scanner Server
(http://scannerserver.online02.com).  I created some patches for LSS
but the PHP version has more features (and is probably more
maintainable).  My patch for LSS is at:
http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2010/10/patch-for-linux-scanner-server-v12.html

Either is much better than phpSANE.

Also, just noticed this:
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Scanner_Server

There are probably other solutions out there also (like the Avahi
integration which didn't function when I tried it on Lucid).