Hello John,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:27 AM, John Moser <john.r.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The simple way to create a restore point system ...
>
> ... is to mount / as an overlay FS, which you periodically merge (to
> remove prior restore points), condense into a squashfs (to take a
> point backup), or wipe (to restore to backup).  This of course means
> /home should be its own partition.

I think this is the idea used by nexenta by mounting / on a ZFS partition,
Can a similar approach used for ubuntu ? But that needs / to be mounted on
a brtfs filesystem, Does that need a thorough reinstall of the system ?
This approach along with package saved state can help to create a break
free upgrade mechanism as is done in nexenta currently.

> [...]
> have
> > to check.) That's a bummer since it means that there's no easy way of
> seeing
> > what's changed unless you peek into the .deb file. There are some deb
> tools
> > that can do this but since I can do it programmatically I usually just
> did
> > that.
> > The 'monster diff' is just a comment on the number of files involved.
> What I
> > actually did create two lists, one generated by walking the filesystem
> and
> > the other generated by concatenating all of the *.files and *.md5sums
> > metadata and then comparing them. I did this programmatically but you
> could
> > also create actual files, sort them, and then run a diff on them. IIRC I
> > typically had over 70k files.
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Gaurav Saxena <grvsaxena...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello all

> of

> on
> and
> you're
> >>
> >> But it might be possible that the package files are not available on the
> >> system. That means for all the packages installed the .deb files need
> to be
> >> downloaded from the internet for restore purpose ?

> tricky
> Worse,
> than
> >>
> >> Ok. Nice idea indeed , but is there checksum associated with the files
> in
> >> the package ? Or that can be calculated at the time of restore ? What
> you
> >> say ?

> /usr/local
> to scan
> the
> >>
> >> Could you suggest me some way of scanning the debian package metadata
> >> without actually downloading the packages? and how to this monster diff
> ?

> strict
> still do
> for it.
> You set
> then
> >>
> >> Could you please tell some detail about autogenerated packages ? Like if
> >> we have a list of packages installed on the system, We need to reinstall
> >> those all softwares  and remove those which are installed after the
> restore
> >> point?

> There's
> during
> snapshots
> >>
> >> So whenever a package is installed or removed I will update my backup
> >> according to that ? By reading package metadata determine which files
> are
> >> changed by that package and update those files in the backup ?

Thanks and Regards ,
Gaurav