On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Chris McClimans
<ubuntu-devel-disc...@hippiehacker.org> wrote:
> Why does autoremoving the ubuntu-virt-mgmt metapackage fail to remove any
> dependencies, while autoremoving the virt-manager package works as expected?
>
> Is there a difference in the way that metapackages are processed vs normal
> packages?

Think of a meta-package as a grocery list.  Think of a normal package
as the ingredients.  With the grocery list you can add and remove
anything you want and some things aren't explicitly required and might
even get removed later... but with the ingredients, everything is
required and if you remove one ingredient you might as well remove the
rest because it's just not going to taste right.  That doesn't mean
there aren't optional ingredients though, those are just recommends ;)

> I looked at the debian/control on the source for both of them but didn't see
> anything out of the ordinary.

There are a few different things, the install size should be blank and
debian/rules should be a bit different.

> If they are treated differently, I'd like to know how to create a
> hybrid-metapackage.
> When a hybrid-metapackage is autoremoved, it's dependencies should be
> removed with it.

You can force apt (well I don't know if this is still the case though)
by adjusting /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/*autoremove and removing
meta-packages from the list of never auto-mark but that is pretty
dangerous, if you decide to remove a required from ubuntu-desktop that
isn't a requirement at all and probably just a bloat-package that is
useful to some then you end up removing it all.  I guess you could
have the meta-package trigger on uninstall and do an extra dpkg
uninstall though I don't know if that would even work, I've never
actually tried sorcery like that.