Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> is anyone currently working on optimized/minimized kernel
> and base packages for VM's ?
>
> My goal is having a really minimized base system for VMs
> and VEs, which don't have anything that's really needed
> there (eg. VEs dont need all the kernel related stuff,
> VMs just only those parts which are really required for
> running in an virtio-based environment, etc, etc).

    I suspect you're looking for the linux-virtual metapackage,
and dependencies thereof for your kernel.  You may wish to look
at the available Cloud Images [1], which are likely suitable for
deployment in your target environment with little or no modification.

    If the selection of modules in linux-virtual is insuffient
for your target environment, the other modules are also available
in the dependencies of the linux-image-extra-virtual package.

1: http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/

--
Emmet HIKORY