On 27/09/12 07:51, Emmet Hikory wrote:

>     Yes, this is contrived, etc.  On the other hand, I suspect many
> of us have managed to be both Alice and Bob in a scenario much like
> that above when interrupted in the middle by some significant
> distraction, or just a sufficient span of time.

It is contrived, but still possible. A (perhaps) simpler scenario is:
* have multiple SSH sessions going;
* have the correct amount of interrupts on what you are doing,
requiring you to open (a few) more SSH sessions;
* run the 'rm -rf <whatever>' you intended to run in a different SSH
session.

Pretty much all of us that work on multiple systems have done
something like that at least once (not necessarily with 'rm').

On another track, Nautilus already has a "seatbelt" on: by default,
deletion is actually move-to-trash. Of course, one can disable it. I
wonder if this was the case for the OP.

Cheers,

..C..

p.s. Emmet! Glad to see (ah, read) you!