On 8 October 2012 08:27, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Stéphane Graber <stgra...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 10/07/2012 04:32 AM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Good points it does look like hardening and addressing some of the
>>> concerns has occurred it is possible perhaps that enabling caching was
>>> just overlooked but either way it would be nice to see it enabled in 13.04.
>>
>> dnsmasq still doesn't support per-user caching so it still doesn't meet
>> the criteria we discussed with the security team last cycle and as such
>> as kept in its current configuration.
>
> With the small difference that you can now actually enable caching
> should you choose to disregard the security implications. You can do
> so by adding a file in /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d containing
> "cache-size=n" where n is the size you want to use (default in dnsmasq
> is 150, and set to 400 in NM upstream). The name of the file doesn't
> matter.

Good tip on the workaround, Mathieu. Looks like this doesn't work in
Ubuntu 12.10 pre-release here:

# echo cache-size=400 >/etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d/cache
<reboot>
$ ps -ef | grep dnsmasq
nobody    2057  1128  0 11:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq
--no-resolv --keep-in-foreground --no-hosts --bind-interfaces
--pid-file=/var/run/sendsigs.omit.d/network-manager.dnsmasq.pid
--listen-address=127.0.1.1 --conf-file=/var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf
--cache-size=0 --proxy-dnssec
--enable-dbus=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq
--conf-dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d

Let me know if it would help to raise a bug report, and I'll analyse it.

Thanks,
  Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman