On Monday, November 05, 2012 01:19:51 PM Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 12:11 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Monday, November 05, 2012 11:53:03 AM Rodney Dawes wrote:
> >
> > > There were large changes to address some specific user concerns around
> > > the dash search, that went in after various freezes were in effect.

> > That's also true of the shopping bits of dash search itself, so without
> > time travel, having it be any way is impossible.  Perhaps if Canonical
> > had decided to work within the existing Ubuntu release process, this
> > could have been landed earlier with a lot less heat/light since there
> > would have been lots of time to consider the best approaches for various
> > issues.
>
> I don't know all the specifics of how they went in, or the exact course
> of process they took, but I do know they landed after freezes, and part
> of 'within the existing Ubuntu release process' includes 'sabdfl
> override' which the feature itself may or may not have fallen under.
>
> Either way, some of the changes landed extremely late (even after the
> feature itself), to help address some of the user concerns. That was
> the only point I'm making. I don't disagree that it would be better if
> some of the teams would align better with the release process. It
> certainly would be. However, there are also also some issues with doing
> that as relates to the Canonical 'skunkworks' projects which Mark also
> blogged about recently.
>
> I don't know if it's been done before or not, but perhaps the Release
> Team, and Tech Board, should take up any concerns related to some of the
> Canonical projects' involvement in that process, with the appropriate
> members of Canonical staff, including Mark (who is on TB anyway). Again,
> another discussion that would have been great to have at UDS with
> everyone in the same room, but which seems to perpetually get
> complaints, and perhaps not discussed at appropriate times.

It was extensively discussed at UDS-R and I believe things will go better in
the next cycle.  I realize that Mark's SABDFL veto is part of existing Ubuntu
processes.  I don't have any disagreement with his authority to do so.  I do
think it is mistaken for development teams (generally, but not inevitable)
from inside Canonical that plan on getting in that way.

Scott K