On Oct 31, 2012 11:50 AM, "Daniel J Blueman" <dan...@quora.org> wrote:
> Don't get me wrong; I love developing on Ubuntu and Linux and use it
exclusively in my professional and personal life. Now, I'd love to hear why
this (IMHO regression) made sense..

I haven't seen it, but if so, this is part of a much bigger problem.

We use Free software. That's Free as in Freedom. But in reality, users do
not get that freedom, only developers. In order to be Free to modify the
software, you have to know how to do that.

Even developers don't know every language, library, toolkit, etc., so while
a developer may be Free to modify some software, they may not know how to
modify other software. So they are just users to the software they don't
know how to modify.

So 'Free software users' _rely_ on Free software developers to fulfill
their freedom to modify the software to their needs, requirements, and
preference. However, there's no real incentive for the devs to pander to
the wims of the users.

Having preferences/options/settings helps to mitigate the problem slightly,
but unfortunately, Ubuntu seems to be removing preferences in each new
version. I'm still using Natty which reached EOL a few days ago.

The 'Free software user' problem, and the rift between non-developer and
developer, is a problem I intend to contribute to a solution. I am working
on a concept of 'Libre not gratis'. I hope it turns out well. ;-)

Best regards,
James.