Can we look at adding this to nginx-extras?

http://rarut.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/hls-support-in-nginx-rtmp-16-2/

It's possibly not ready yet, but there's 5 months to go.  It's real simple
to get in the package.

Basically I added dependencies to debian/control:

Build-Depends:  add the below
               libavcodec-dev,
               libavformat-dev

You should also add libav to the dependencies.

To get the actual module source, I snagged:

https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module/archive/master.zip

and unzipped it to debian/modules/, changing the folder to
nginx-rtmp-module (instead of nginx-rtmp-module-master)

Then, debian/rules, under config.status.extras, I added this to ./configure:

            --add-module=$(MODULESDIR)/nginx-rtmp-module \
            --add-module=$(MODULESDIR)/nginx-rtmp-module/hls \
           $(CONFIGURE_OPTS) >$@

(obviously, the last line was already there).

These have to go into debian/source/include-binaries:

debian/modules/nginx-rtmp-module/doc/video_file_format_spec_v10.pdf
debian/modules/nginx-rtmp-module/doc/rtmp-decoded.pdf
debian/modules/nginx-rtmp-module/test/rtmp-publisher/RtmpPlayer.swf
debian/modules/nginx-rtmp-module/test/rtmp-publisher/RtmpPublisher.swf
debian/modules/nginx-rtmp-module/test/www/jwplayer_old/player.swf
debian/modules/nginx-rtmp-module/test/www/jwplayer/player.swf

After that it's just dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot and you're good.  the
nginx-extras package includes rtmp and hls.

Viability?