On 12/21/2012 11:45 AM, John Moser wrote:

> Packages and source tarballs appear available from this location:
>
> http://apt.opscode.com/pool/main/
>
> Potentially these are appropriate for multiverse, if the Chef developers
> are willing to submit them.  Some packages in Debian have DFSG
> designation, so I assume some modifications are necessary for inclusion
> of Chef in Universe or Main.
>
> I am simply at a loss as to why some packages have been brought over,
> yet others have not.  Perhaps the client is simply more "open" and thus
> easier to import by policy, and so the bits needed to interact with a
> server are brought in functionally but the bits needed to run a server
> are left out.  That would at least be a valuable effort and explain the
> current state of things.  But that is simply speculation on my part.

Chef has never been terribly interested in supporting distro packaging.
Last I checked, their custom apt repository heavily modifies some core
packages (outside the chef package namespace) in ways that could never
be accepted into Debian/Ubuntu. They treat it as an "appliance", not as
independent packages. I asked OpsCode about this a few months ago when I
was doing a Chef/Puppet assessment for a client, and they didn't seem to
have any interest in normalizing their packages into something
distributable.

Allison