Hi,

I find current approach clumsy because it makes at least two desirable
features hard to implement.

1. Changing desktop shell without changing applications.

Changing DE is actually painful, as one have to familiar herself with
a set of new applications. Running multiple DE in parallel actually
result in many applications with duplicate functionality; the most
annoying case would be running MATE and GNOME at the same time.

You may check the following page for inspiration:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_shells_for_Windows

2. Running Unity without effects.

Currently there is no sane way to disable effects, even though it is
not impossible.

After all, one binary being a plugin of another binary means that they
are same process and crash together ...

BTW, I'd like to ask, when Compiz crash, is there a fast way to
restart it without restarting LightDM?