Quoting Thomas Prost (t...@prosts.info):

> Maybe the aubergine at boot stays black (it's an old laptop I test it
> on, where this difference is hardly seen), but what I hoped for is not
> a twenty seconds empty screen but displaying messages right from
> leaving the BIOS screen :-(

I would very much like to go back to the old way of booting too,
especially for Ubuntu Server installs.

However, i was told there is no way Ubuntu is going back to 'the old
boot style' because of changes in the entire boot sequence: upstart
introduces parallel bootstrapping of services which would result in
incomprehensible output on your console if those services being started
could log to the console at all because of the way upstart works.

My attempts at getting rid of plymouth and the explanation of involved
Ubuntu devs should be archived in the ubuntu-server@ mailinglist
archives.

IMO all these changes are really useful on desktop installs, parallel
booting makes it fast, the splashscreen doesn't scare off people with
all these strange numbers and words scrolling on the screen, however,
as a sysadmin, with servers, it all Just Has No Use and frustrates
debugging (boot)issues.

Problem is, 'Ubuntu Server' is just a different selection of packages
with a shared base set. Not a completely different 'distribution', so it
shares all these eyecandy patches with the Desktop installs.

HTH,
-Sndr.