On 25.12.2013 10:36, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
It's stored there because "All users may connect to this network"
ticked on that Wifi connection point. Open network indicator -> Edit
connections ... -> Select network -> Click edit... -> in general tab
untick "All users may connect to this network".
I read about that. Unchecking that option moves the password into the user's keychain, which is neat.

But it still leaves the question open: Does the regular Ubuntu user really expect that there will be clear text passwords for his Wifi networks outside his encrypted home folder (without taking additional steps)?

To me it would even be more intuitive to have "All users may connect to this network" turned off by default (recognizing "enabling a Wifi network for all users" as an administrative action).

one can use policykit to
allow unprivileged users to control a system job.
Thanks for pointing that out! I will read into that and update my tutorial accordingly.

All the best,
Per