Hi,

I just tried to set up a secure system with multiple disks and found the
Ubuntu installer more or less useless. It works for a single disk
solution only. If you have a SSD and a harddisk and want all it all
encrypted, you are lost.

The current solution supports one password for one disk, only. This is a
one-to-one relation between disk and password. This is nice if you have
only one disk. For a multi disk setup the user has to insert a password
for each disk, after fiddling with config files.

As a user I want to set up a system encrypted with a password.  I don't
want to key in the password N times each time I boot. It seems so easy
to mount all disks with the same password, but it is not supported. As a
user I want to key in one password for my system, independent of the
number of disks it has.

If I have the requirement to dynamically mount disks, it is already
possible. Just click on the drive and key in your password.

The installer has to use one password for the system, not for the drive.
It has to encrypt all disks set up during installation with the same
password.

For the boot script it means to use the password keyed in to mount all
drives configured.

I wish these feature to be in the next Ubuntu release.

Haug