On 02/06/2014 21:49, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> Ubuntu support for upgrades naturally depends on exactly what is being
> upgraded.  Use of software from outside the official Ubuntu repositories (PPA
> repositories or .deb files or tar.gz packages or the like) means upgrades may
> be more complicated for the user.
It's always been my experience that when upgrading, all software that is
not installed by default, are uninstalled and must be installed
separately by the user after the upgrade.  Mate would definitely fall in
this category.  (It is for this very reason that i don't upgrade every 6
months, and often skip a release or two.)

However, all the settings of that software is still kept in the user
home directory, so when you reinstalled the software, it should keep its
configuration.  Eg. if you use an email app other than Thunderbird, upon
installing it after the upgrade, all your accounts and emails will be
available again without having to configure it again.

Problems can be expected, especially when using universe and multi-verse
packages, since it does not necessarily go through the same rigorous
testing before release.  (For this reason I only upgrade 6 months after
the release of a new version.  Although it's nice to be cutting-edge, it
does come with a risk (of being "cut").

Since Saucy, there is a useful app available in the PPAs which makes
this process easier: *Aptik*.  You can run it before the upgrade and it
will record and save all the additional packages and PPA you have
installed.  If you run it again after the upgrade it allow you (to
attempt) to restore all of those PPAs and packages again.

In short, if you run a non-stock desktop, you need to be a bit more
prudent when upgrading.

Charl