What you are looking for is a ".desktop" file.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

The thing that's missing (from all or at least most DEs?) is an easy
way to create desktop files that point to a file URL.

It looks like what you want is something like:

$ cat blarg.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Name=music
Type=Link
URL=file:///path/to/music

This will create a shortcut with a blank file icon, it's possible to
customize the icon for a desktop file but I haven't looked at how to
do that.

Behind the scenes I think this is using xdg-open (or some DE-specific
thing which is probably just wrapping xdg-open), so you can create
desktop files for any type of file and it will use your default
handler to open it based on its type.

On 14 July 2015 at 14:22, Johan Kriel <j...@hotmail.co.za> wrote:
> No you are wrong!!! The way shortcuts work in Windows is totally different
> from Ubuntu's symbolic links. Windows also have what they call a "Junction"
> which do exactly what Ubuntu's symlinks do. But Windows shortcuts DOES NOT
> create a symbolic path to the destination. It is a simple jump to the
> destination as if you have typed "cd /destination" in a terminal. Both
> shortcuts and junctions are useful, but they have different purposes and you
> can not replace the one with the other. The problem I have with Banshee is
> because I have to use symlinks where I really need shortcuts.
>
> Regards
> Johan Kriel
>

> On 14/07/2015 15:06, Sam Bull wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 15:51 +0200, Johan Kriel wrote:
>>>
>>> Please guys, seriously consider the implementation of shortcuts as used
>>> by Windows in Ubuntu. Those shortcuts are of real good use and they
>>> don't create unnecessary extra symbolic paths to any folder. They are a
>>> simple direct jump to another folder somewhere on your disc.
>>
>> Shortcuts are the equivalent of symbolic links. There is no functional
>> difference.
>>
>> It sounds like the issue is that you have Banshee searching areas that
>> you don't want it to. If the symlinks are outside the Music folder, then
>> you just need to make Banshee only searches the Music folder.
>>         If the symlinks are inside the Music folder, then it'll create an
>> endless loop when searching through the folder. I can't imagine any
>> reason for doing this, so if they are in the Music folder, then perhaps
>> explain what you're trying to achieve with them (or maybe there's an
>> advanced setting in Banshee to stop it following symlinks).
>

> --

Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at