On Sun, 22 May 2016 12:25:18 +0200, Abel wrote:
>I think it'd be very useful having a tool for resetting to Ubuntu
>distro defaults just straight from Ubuntu OS and not having to set up
>a live USB and doing all the job along with the issue of that the user
>could destroy or break his/hers Home folder. Also it'd be desirable to
>preserve the apps the user has installed aside from the ones which
>come with Ubuntu, just as the Ubuntu Upgrade software does.

Hi,

IMO you should first discuss what exactly you wish to archive on the
Ubuntu user mailing list, since most likely you just need a good backup
concept, that fits to your needs.

What defaults do you mean? E.g. services that by default are executed
during startup and that were disabled by you and/or the selected desktop
theme, font sizes and the wallpaper?

How should e.g. an edited fstab be handled?

Should only default install package names and user installed package
names get preserved by a list or should downgrading to versions that
were installed before an upgrade be provided?

Regards,
Ralf