On Thu, 2016-06-02 at 13:54 +0200, Xen wrote:
> Because they never asked for payment or set any conditions for access
> their work.

Yes they did, the GPL is the set of conditions they made for access to
their work.

> If a book is in my hands, a vendor no longer has the ability to
> direct
> what I should be able to do with it. This is just common sense.

No, the vendor doesn't have any further ability to control what you do
with it (the vendor does not own the copyright). But, the
author/publisher (whoever owns the copyright) of that book DOES have an
ability to control what you do with it. If it is full rights reserved,
then you do NOT have permission to make copies or modifications of the
book and then redistribute them.