On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 17:21:03 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>hi,
>Am Samstag, den 09.07.2016, 16:52 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on Ubuntu devel "snapcraft" was mentioned today. I made some Internet
>> research and Snappy was even mentioned on a RME forum. I wonder it
>> it's
>> a sandbox or virtualization, that could cause issues with real-time
>> and/or jack connections with "regular" apps. IOW I don't understand,
>> if
>> there is an additional layer, a separation or if it's just like a
>> regular install to /opt, without using shared libs, but also without
>> layer, IOW without a separation?
>>
>> Sometimes German Ubuntu help pages are better than the English pages,
>> but regarding this topic, there seem to be no German Ubuntu Wikis at
>> all.

>listinfo/snapcraft
>
>some details about snappy can be found at http://snapcraft.io/
>
>regarding the setup, it is kind of neither virtualization, nor
>container, nor sandbox ...
>
>snapd ships its own execution environment for snaps (which you could
>call a container), but then bind mounts bits and pieces from the host
>system readonly into that environment. then it wraps all execution with
>apparmor and seccomp monitoring (which you could call a sandbox, but it
>reallly isnt one :) ) ...
>
>that confinement then offers interfaces a snap can use through which
>you get direct access to i.e. hardware or other system resources (...if
>the user permits, imagine the android or IOS permission system here)
>snaps can offer interfaces for other snaps or just consume existing
>interfaces.
>
>so to answer your question about realtime, it should be completely
>possible to have realtime apps use snappy but will likely need
>additional interfaces added (you can always install a snap with the --
>devmode option which switches off all confinement. in this case it
>would not behave different to some bundled binary you simply installed
>to /opt as you described above)
>
>i hope that clearifies some bits ;)
>
>ciao
>       oli

Hi Oli,

too funny, my intention was to sent it to Ubuntu Studio devel mailing
list, I send it by accident to this list. I hope that somebody from
Ubuntu Studio devel has got experiences with audio apps and this
approach.

Thank you, for the summarized explanation.

I still will send a request to Ubuntu Studio devel and  I'll add a link
to your explanation ;), or simply forward this reply.

Regards,
Ralf