Le 7 septembre 2016 14:17:25 UTC+03:00, Simos Xenitellis
<simos.li...@googlemail.com> a écrit :

>I am not addressing your request, I am focusing on the practicalities
>of maintaining an old laptop as a server.
>I assume your laptop was made around the year 2000-2003 because the
>CPU is Intel 80586.

I still own and use such an old computer. Its still on my desk right now, and
another (older) one is awaiting to be repaired.

>The mechanical harddisk should be a PATA (that is, IDE and not SATA),
>meaning that it is not replaceable with a new disk; PATA disks are not
>manufactured any more.
>In addition, it cannot accept a converter between PATA and SATA so
>that you can use a new hard disk (no space for converter in a laptop).
>By using the laptop as a server, it is always on. This causes issues
>with the mechanical hard disk that would limit its lifespan.
>In addition, the thermal paste that transfers heat away from the CPU
>and towards the heatsink should probably be dry by now. That is, the
>thermal paste might not work at all.

I saw a "new" PATA harddisk few weeks ago here in Madagascar. I think I'd buy
one, actually. Not so expensive, AFAIR.

>Nowdays, instead of having an old laptop as a server, the common thing
>to do is get a Small Board Computer (SBC),
>like the Raspberry Pi. There are cheaper versions, and they start at
>around $15. You can get them to run Ubuntu just fine.

That's in my plans. But not easy to find them, and at the right price, here
ATM. It's easier for us to keep our old machines up and running, for eg. for
local photos sharing, etc..
Obviously not for watching videos ;)

Cheers