Oliver Grawert schreef op 27-09-2016 18:35:
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 27.09.2016, 08:51 -0700 schrieb paulwhee...@cox.net:

Package info: Version: 1:5.1.4-0ubuntu1  (xenial-updates)

Unless I am mistaken, you are the package maintainers, so it does not
matter what Linux system it is installed on, it should work, right?

yes, these are ubuntu packages, developed and tested against a specific
ubuntu release, against ubuntu libraries and ubuntu installations ...

they do not get tested against mint installs, modified mint libraries
or mint desktops ... you should talk to the mint maintainers why an
ubuntu package does not work on your mint install.

your assumption that it does not matter which linux sytem a binary that
was built against a specific set of dependencies of a specific distro
runs on is wrong. it matters a lot, especially if you use  a package
with a lot of dependencies like libreoffice.

try asking the mint guys. in case you or they can track your breakage
down to a specific ubuntu related issue, feel free to file an ubuntu
bug on launchpad ...

I must say I consider it unlikely that a great number of Mint users would have the issue also.

I have never witnessed any such issue on Mint with any package, but I have not used it that long.

However the error seems to indicate (or would remind one of) having run a software package /while being root/ using sudo instead of gksudo or whatever the equivalent is these days. This would typically overwrite user home files with root-owned equivalents and I think we are all familiar with that.

I furthermore doubt it is even possible, even remotely possible, that it would be a problem with the libreoffice packages. But Mint is so similar that it is also unlikely that the package itself would cause problems. They are just not that different I think.

However, who knows. If you cannot report it on the Linux Mint forums, I'm not sure there is a way to get help. Regards.