Ralf replies:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 21:37:45 -0500, amon wrote:
So my question is, how do you make that userland automounter recognize
that the disk is just not up for grabs? It does not seem to even
look at cryptab or fstab for a hint.

The appropriate mailing list for a user question, is the user mailing
list.

I respectfully disagree. It is my belief that the system simply
does not handle this correctly at all. I would be happy to be
proven wrong, but if I am correct, it would also be nice if
it could be put in the queue as something to be fixed.