I just want to write a small note on the topic of LVM data safety.

The version of LVM that ships with 16.04 cannot handle duplicate UUIDs.

If you so much as DD a disk to another drive and run a single LVM command, your running system will be ruined.

Chances are high LVM will prefer the new backup over the old and do a live swap of backing devices which will corrupt all open files and their inodes.

Naturally this will only happen on a running system but it's what people sometimes do.

(Aside from that of course this thing may also happen while running from a Live version, but the impact will be less).

The version shipping with 16.10 doesn't have this behaviour but it is rather not a safe measure to be trusting you or anyone will Always be able to and remember to upgrade their versions prior to anything like this happening.

That's all I can say about this. Regards.