On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 18:21 Colin Law <clan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I see where you are coming from. It never occurred to me that
> anyone wanting to install libgtk2.0-dev, or similar, would want to use
> a GUI. I assumed everyone used apt for that.  Obviously I am wrong.

I'd add to this that aptitude has an excellent curses-based interactive
mode (just run aptitude with no options) which feels similar to synaptic to
use. Very powerful search options (which are also available on the aptitude
command line) and interactive resolver choice selection which is
occasionally very useful.

A surprising number of people on debian-devel were unaware that aptitude
has an interactive mode during a related discussion over there, so I think
it's worth pointing out here too :).

--
Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at