You have done a most impressive work with Ubuntu 17.10, but in this e-mail
I hope it's OK that I raise one of my greates concerns.

*To be able to focus has always been the purpose of using multiple
workspaces* (atleast to me). When the user is in a workspace then they want
to mainly concern themselves with the windows of that workspace and not be
bothered by other things. Sadly the Dock breaks this purpose to a great
extent by showing icons for *all windows from all workspaces*.

Many users love to use the dock to switch between applications, because *it
is visually instantly available*. I.e. you don't have to perform a mental
context switch by analyzing something new that appears on the screen before
making your choice (such as the alt+tab menu); this would add mental burden
to the work the user is trying to use Ubuntu to accomplish, but the dock is
always there. But it still becomes difficult to focus when using the Dock
to choose what window to switch to because all workspaces' windows are
shown.

The Dock is also great in another way too, *namely the Super+NUMB_KEY
shortcuts to quickly choose a window*. This is much more convenient than
alt+tab, again because you avoid mental and visual context switch but also
because *you don't have to repeatedly press alt+tab, tab, tab, tab ...* to
arrive at your desired windows. But sadly this great feature is also
hindered by the Dock making it more difficult to focus by showing all
windows. Also since all the workspaces' total number of open apps can
reasonably exceed nine, *the Super+NUMB_KEY shortcuts may not be usable* to
choose the desired windows.

The user's option to use the Dock to focus is further hindered *if the user
has multiple instances of the same app open over many workspaces*. Say for
instance the user has four Firefox windows open over four workspaces. Now
they (the user) wants to switch to the current workspace's Firefox windows.
But sadly clicking the Firefox icon will open a small panel with four
Firefox windows from all workspaces; now the user must further discern
which one of them to choose when *it's evident which one they wants in
nearly all cases...*

I'm guessing it's (relatively) easy to add a checkbox in Ubuntu Settings
that says "Show windows from all workspaces" in the Dock's section and then
to implement this. To enable users that favor this setting to still be able
to see all workspaces' open windows, a new Gnome Overview mode "Show
windows from all workspaces" should be added. The user should be able to
assign a keyboard shortcut to this mode.

Please reply to my e-mail address because I'm not a subscriber to your
mailing list.

Kind regards, Arash