On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:06:19 +0100, Tobia wrote:
>I know that you are extremely busy I would like to report this bug
>since it's very, very serious and I do not know if you already know
>this issue.
>
>Ubuntu 17.10 corrupting BIOS - many LENOVO laptops models - Bug
>#1734147
>
>All of us affected cannot use their PCs anymore.

Hi,

I'm not a developer, however, consider to explain what makes you think
that this is an Ubuntu related bug. At least consider to provide a
proper bug report.

For good reasons
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1734147 is falgged
as "Incomplete".

I'm to lazy to do all the googling for you, since I don't use all this
EFI crap, I did it nearly a year ago, before I bought my new desktop
computer, too avoid issues.

However, for example did you read the Wiki?

"Firmware issues

The increased prominence of UEFI firmware in devices has also led to a
number of technical issues blamed on their respective
implementations.[114]

Following the release of Windows 8 in late 2012, it was discovered that
certain Lenovo computer models with secure boot had firmware that was
hardcoded to allow only executables named "Windows Boot Manager" or
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux" to load, regardless of any other
setting.[115] Other issues were encountered by several Toshiba laptop
models with secure boot that were missing certain certificates required
for its proper operation.[114]

In January 2013, a bug surrounding the UEFI implementation on some
Samsung laptops was publicized, which caused them to be bricked after
installing a Linux distribution in UEFI mode. While potential conflicts
with a kernel module designed to access system features on Samsung
laptops were initially blamed (also prompting kernel maintainers to
disable the module on UEFI systems as a safety measure), Matthew
Garrett discovered that the bug was actually triggered by storing too
many UEFI variables to memory, and that the bug could also be triggered
under Windows under certain conditions. In conclusion, he determined
that the offending kernel module had caused kernel message dumps to be
written to the firmware, thus triggering the bug.[37][116][117]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Firmware_issues

There are far more known issues, Google is your friend. I doubt that
you will find a lot, if any known issues caused by Linux distribution,
but there are a vast number of known issues, that are not caused by
Linux distros.

Regards,
Ralf

Regards,
Ralf
--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.14-2