On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 9:46 AM Lao Shaw <laosha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On my freshly installed ubuntu 18.06 my cron job use 'apt-get' as 'apt' is
> not recommended to be used in scripts. however, 'apt-get update' will keep
> back my packages while 'apt upgrade' will upgrade them, this is not
> expected.

I think you have the wrong mailing list, but, `man apt` says:

       apt provides a high-level commandline interface for the package
       management system. It is intended as an end user interface and
enables
       some options better suited for interactive usage by default compared
       more specialized APT tools like apt-get(8) and apt-cache(8).

This does not make me think that `apt` and `apt-get` are intended to have
the same behavior in all operations (given that some options are explicitly
(well the "some" is explicit, which actually are is not) enabled in `apt`
only by default.

Thanks,
Nish