On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:01:30PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I hope this will help you narrow down where the problem is: either the
> compose definitions aren't taking effect, in which case you'd need to
> track down what's supposed to be applying them and isn't, or the compose
> definitions are wrong, in which case you would be best off taking this
> up with X11 upstream.
>
> (That said, while I don't use dead-key layouts myself, I seem to get ç
> when I type Compose ' c even though that isn't what the Compose file
> says I should get.  Not quite sure what's going on there.)

Thank you for pinning this down. I had looked previously for why I
couldn't type ç but had never really understood how it was all put
together.

I am in en_GB.UTF-8. I assume that behaviour here is somehow inherited
from en_US.UTF-8? I miss not being able to type ç and have never needed
to type ĉ, which is what I get instead.

I suppose though that it is rather subjective what default behaviour
should be in locales which don't natively need either character. That
makes me a little reluctant to be indignant about the problem because
I'm sure that even within a particular locale it's impossible to please
everyone :)