On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 23:23:41 +0300, Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've recently initiated a new statistical project based on anonymously
>collected outputs of hwinfo, smartmontools and dmidecode utilities
>called "Linux Hardware Trends". The report for Ubuntu is now here:
>https://github.com/linuxhw/Trends/tree/master/Dist/Ubuntu
>
>The report can be considered as an alternative to Ubuntu user
>statistics (https://ubuntu.com/desktop/statistics) and helps to answer
>questions like "How popular are 32-bit systems?", "How fast is SSD
>market share growing?", "Which hard drives are less reliable?", "How
>many computers use old CPU microcode?", "How good is device drivers
>support?", etc.
>
>Please let me know if you are interested in tracking any OS/hardware
>characteristics that are not currently included in the report.
>
>The data is collected by the Snap package here:
>https://snapcraft.io/hw-probe
>
>Thanks.

Pitfalls:

How many percent of users do not participate?

The HDD we bought 7 years ago might be very reliable and might live
another 7 years, even if we park and release the heads a thousand times
a day, but actually you can't purchase this disk anymore. IOW you might
get a realistic statistics, but it anyway is useless, since the drive is
discontinued.

/proc/cmdline provides some information about pitfalls such as
"mitigations=off audit=off" which might vs a new kernel in combination
with a new microcode, by still using kind of a fast past.

Btw. my machine internally is equipped with SSDs only, but all of my
backup drives are HDDs only and non is connected during regular
computer usage.

I could continue the line of possible pitfalls, that most likely will
bias any statistic and render it absolutely useless.

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives