On 2020-04-14 22:16, Colin Watson wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 09:13:48PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 12:54:07PM -0400, Kinder wrote:
How do I contribute to the ubuntu PT-BR translation? preferably
the command "man"?

Speaking as the upstream maintainer of man, the most
long-term-effective way to do this is to work with the Translation
Project and thus contribute the translations upstream
(https://translationproject.org/html/welcome.html).  This work will
be shared with other distributions.

Oh, this applies if you're talking about the localisation of the
"man" command itself or the manual pages that are part of the man-db
package. It doesn't necessarily apply if you're talking about other
manual pages that you access using the "man" command.

The Ubuntu translation system mentioned by Gunnar allows for
getting translations into Ubuntu on a shorter timescale, and doing
translation work across the whole distribution in one place.  It
usually doesn't result in translations being shared with other
distributions.

... and if you're talking about other manual pages that you access
using the "man" command, I don't think translations of those can in
general be handled using Ubuntu's normal translation system.  You'd
need to work with individual upstream projects on that.

I agree on all that, of course.

Just want to clarify that when I refer a potential translator to one of Ubuntu's translators teams, I assume that the members of the team will explain how it works. For a big language as pt-br that ought to be a reasonable assumption...

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj