On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 2:59 PM Nish Aravamudan
<nish.aravamu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have been testing a network-isolated Ubuntu mirror inside our network and I
> am trying to understand if what I envision should work or not.
>
> In particular, I am trying to minimize how much review is needed for package
> updates, so I would like to just include the release and security pockets.
> However, I am finding a few package updates (in Bionic in my case, but I
> think Focal may also have this problem) that only have fixes in the -updates
> pocket. This prevents installation from succeeding with preseed.
>
> So far, I have seen apt-setup, but debootstrap and base-installer both need
> some adjustment for my test environment.
>
> Should we require -updates as well?

Actually it's the security pocket that is optional. It is a fast track
to access SRUs that happen to also contain security fixes at the
fastest speed possible, with automatic download & upgrades by default
via a direct connection to security.ubuntu.com.

When a new security update is prepared, it is based on package version
in updates; security; or release pocket in that order.

Because security update is mandatory to install, and it must not
regress any fixes that already were present in either
updates/security/release.

And then the security update is published into both updates & security
pockets on archive.ubuntu.com & mirrors, as well as onto
security.ubuntu.com host. As it must supersede everything.

When mirroring, we recommend for people to mirror release & updates
pockets. And we advise people to keep security.ubuntu.com
$suite-security archive config as is.

This way all machines can access security updates via a separate
endpoint directly. This insures that if the private mirror is lagging,
the critical security updates still get through to the end-users.

If you must mirror security.ubuntu.com $suite-security, please ensue
it is a separate mirror too. Such that resiliency remains to access
security-updates even if the stock mirror for updates is down for
maintenance.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.