Am Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 08:51:26AM +0100 schrieb Christian Ehrhardt:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 10:43 PM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunna...@ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 2021-11-13 08:02, ciphert...@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ausweisapp2/+bug/1942649
> > > the maintainer of the upstream debian pacakge to ausweisapp2 recommends
> > > "to ping the Ubuntu maintainers to import the latest version of the
> > > package from Debian", because a major functionality of the package is
> > > broken since about april this year but obviously fixed in the newer
> > > version of the upstream package.
> > >
> > > Is this the right address and way to do so?
> >
> > Yes, it's a proper way to reach out to Ubuntu developers.
> >
> > However, the latest ausweisapp2 version in Debian has already been
> > sync'ed into Ubuntu, and is available in the Ubuntu 21.10 archive as
> > well as the archive for the coming 22.04.
> >
> > It's not in 20.04, though. To get it into 20.04, someone needs to
> > propose a stable release update in accordance with the related guidelines:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
> >
> > Normally a new upstream release is not a proper candidate for a stable
> > release update. OTOH, if the current version in focal is non-working,
> > there may still be a chance...
>
> Ack to all that Gunnar has said, but I just wanted to let you know that there
> also is a snap of ausweisapp2 [1] which helps to have the new version
> available on 20.04 and many other places.
>
> But if - due to external changes - the version in 20.04 really became
> dysfunctional then the SRU rules would allow it to push a new major version.
> The complex tradeoff begins when it has many functions and only one is
> inhibited,
> but the update might break valid users of other functions.

Gunnar, Christian,

thank you very much for your messages and the information provided.
Unfortunately completing the procedure for an SRU goes way over my head
as I am only a user, not a delevoper. But after some research and
experiments I found out that the version 1.20.2-1~ubuntu20.04.1~ppa1
found here https://launchpad.net/~misery/+archive/ubuntu/ppa actually
fixes the bug - at least for me. So this should be more like a
microrelease with a low risk of breaking other functionality (compared
to upgrading to the latest upstream release 1.22.2). Maybe I can get
André Klitzing (misery) to provide the necessary information for a SRU
from 1.20.0 to 1.20.2 or even a patch.

Best regards

Hans