Hi,
After recently reviewing our support for parallel support devices, it seem
that the current Ubuntu package generation uses the build option
--enable-parport-directio which disables libieee1284 library support.

There are many advantages to using the library rather than hitting port
devices directly (permissions, stable platform, sane device names) and my
tests seem to indicate that it is pretty stable and reliable:
https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/578

After asking around it seems that using this option was felt to lead to a
more stable experience but that was probably *many* years ago and much has
changed.
libieee1284 hasn't been updated in ages and it seems to have a stable API.
I will update the SANE PPA to switch this option off and will test with
other devices that I have.

I appreciate that this is a fairly low priority item. :D

Cheers,
Ralph