Regarding your first question about why we don’t update directly to newer
versions, etc.:

Once a version of OpenSSL (or most libraries) is released in Ubuntu, like many
other pieces of software they’re more or less ‘version locked’.  For the most
part, this answer on Ask Ubuntu is still more or less accurate:
https://askubuntu.com/a/151304/10616

*That applies for OpenSSL as well*

Regarding your second question about Xenial:

All Ubuntu releases have a set period of standard support.  For interim non-LTS
releases, this is 9 months.

For LTS releases, this is five years from the initial release date.  After
those five years, it leaves the standard support period.  After which,
Canonical (typically, from my observations) provides Extended Security
Maintenance coverage through the Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure
subscription support programs.

For Xenial 16.04, the Standard Support period ended in April 2021.  (see Ubuntu
16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
released<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2016-April/000207.html>).
  When Standard Support ended, and Xenial entered the Extended Security
Maintenance period, the standard cadence of the Ubuntu Security Team patching
items in Xenial moved from the standard xenial-security repositories into the
Ubuntu Advantage ESM repositories which you need to subscribe to Ubuntu
Advantage for Infrastructure to get entitlement (note you need one license for
each system you want to protect this way, so it can get Expensive).

In the Corporate IT environment (in which lethargy, inertia, extremely legacy
software, etc. are reasons that you cannot immediately upgrade from 16.04 to
18.04 or migrate to even newer Ubuntu), ESM allows an extra 5 years to get
through those problems with the goal of migration or retiring of those legacy
systems.  For the average user outside of corporations, anyone who is on 16.04
should be migrating to newer Ubuntu, or forking out the cash per server to
cover the ‘legacy’ software via ESM.

NOTE: I do not speak as a representative of Canonical, or the Ubuntu Security
Team, or any other Ubuntu leadership role in this email.  The aforementioned
information is based on my observations, information I’ve collected via my FT
job in discussions with Canonical where we actually have UA-I subscriptions,
and other resources and discussions with members of Canonical’s development
teams thanks to my connections as an Ubuntu member.

Thomas