On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 11:16 PM Bryant Eadon <bryant.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It appears the latest ethtool package is v5.4 for Ubuntu 20.04
> (https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/ethtool ) .  The latest from kernel.org is
> 5.17.  Is this normally something that is updated for 20.04 LTS ?
>
> Can the ethtool package be updated by a maintainer for these Ubuntu versions?

Hi Bryant,
the ethtool package is maintained by the Kernel team and usually
aligned with the kernel versions.
Since we have -hwe [1] kernels it might be reasonable to think about
also backporting a newer ethtools.
In the same way one could think about other packages aligned to the
available kernel version like iproute2.

But while this would be great for -hwe users it will OTOH be a rather
large regression risk for those
not using it. That will certainly need some discussions between the
Kernel and SRU team.

Maybe those discussions already happened and ended with "let us not do
it", I do not know.
Setting Stefan "to" as I know he sometimes looks after these packages
and might know
more (FYI - He's out for a few more days, do not expect the fastest reply).

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

> Thank you,
> Bryant
> --